-
Friday, 20 May 2011
Flowers From My Local Nursery
Malvern Show has lots of nurseries within its three counties catchment which prove they're up with the best who exhibit at Chelsea and suchlike. However, I'm always pleased to see my local specialist nursery when it's time to display his foxgloves based on the national collection he holds here in Wiltshire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Specialist nurseries are to be treasured and we are very lucky if they happen to be local.I would love to go to the Chelsea show one year but probably won't.
What a fantastic grouping of foxgloves! This is how I see foxgloves in my mind. The reality in my garden is far different, but I keep trying because I love them so much.
Catmint - the Malvern show showcases the wealth of the local nurseries in the area. They're great :)
debsgarden - welcome! I've just spotted some self-seeded foxgloves are out in my garden :) I'm lucky that my local specialist nursery is also the national collection holder for Digitalis and this week they're having their annual foxglove week.
Lovely foxgloves! Are they perennials? Can they grow in the tropics is my next question.
Rosie
My Garden Haven - welcome! Most of the foxgloves you see in the picture are derived from the biennial species Digitalis purpurea. However, most of the foxglove species are perennial, though some of them are short lived ones and some of them don't set seed. Foxgloves are perfectly suited to the English climate even though many species have their origins in places like the mountains of northern Spain or the Balkan penninsula. These places have a very different climate to the tropics so I doubt they would thrive there. However, I don't know that for sure...
The nurseryman who grew these specimens should know the answer as he holds the national collection.
What a beautiful variety of foxgloves:-)
Hi jabblog - welcome and thanks for following!
Terry can always be relied on for a good show of foxgloves :)
Post a Comment