In 2010 over 30 garden bloggers from all over the world met for the first ever UK get together at RHS Malvern Spring Show. This blog documents the lead up to that event plus the subsequent informal get togethers we've had in Malvern. There are also insights into the events of 2009, insider views from various exhibitors and personal views of Malvern and surrounding places of interest.

Thus this blog also forms a valuable resource for anyone wanting to visit either the spring or autumn versions of the show, or contemplating a visit to the area.

Monday 29 March 2010

And Now a Word From the Northern Ireland Jury...

I really wanted to write a little something for the Meet @ Malvern site. You have no need to publish it at all [but it's too good to lie languishing in my email inbox - Ed], I'm just excited......

The RHS ignores it's friendly neighbour N.Ireland I am sad to say when it comes to it's fabulous events. We like to grow stuff too!! Darn it.

So I have never been to a celebrated flower show, though Garden Ireland hosts the lovely Hillsborough flower show which I also haven't attended *shame*. But that isn't the point, never in my thirty years have I even considered being seen at one of these wonderful garden shows in Britain, notice it isn't Great without N Ireland. Then I happened to mention a desire to go to one, any one sometime in the future and lo and behold a friend offers me free tickets. My world just exploded into a happy fluffy place full of marshmallows and chocolate and skipping joy-filled people. Not only am I waiting for my new house to be built and therefore thinking of the 2 tiny gardens we'll have to create and make fantastic, but there's the lotties, which I shall be only a few minutes walk from. Gardening has invaded my existence like a pernicious weed, if you will, one with a pretty flower that I welcome into my life.

So I sat on this joyous news for a while, thinking, 'hummmm, shall I?'. I mentioned it to the hubby and there was no hesitation. We were going!! Yippeee and such.

Thank goodness for the Meet @ Malvern site and the most awesome VP who helped me get somewhere to stay, somewhere very lovely indeed, a room she had just cancelled on, so it was highly tasteful, naturally. Now I can't stop looking at the RHS site and the Meet @ Malvern site and getting ever so more excited with each update. We're going to be VIP's for goodness sake, it's the 25th Anniversary bash this year and there are craft stalls as well as all things gardening. Plus the ever lovely James A-S lecturing, lots of blogging friends and inspiration too!

So the flights are booked, we have a hire car booked and Maggie is going to be looked after and spoilt rotten by her Granny, though I haven't told Maggie yet, she'd only be jealous of Malvern.

Have to ask though, is anyone else a bit nervous about the face to face interaction of it all?? Is it just me or do others worry that in person and with my accent I won't be as likable in reality? Oh, it's like a huge blind date. Should I wear a certain coloured rose in my lapel, do I have to wear something that has a lapel, crap, what am I going to wear?? Hadn't thought of that, eek!

Carrie

4 comments:

Helen/patientgardener said...

I was nervous the first time I met another blogger (VP at Malvern Spring Show 2008) but its like meeting an old friend as you have already built up a dialogue with them. No worries about lapels and buttonholes. We will sort something out for bloggers - not sure what yet but might be with tickets. I would advise that Malvern can be quite windy at times. I would wear practical and comfortable clothes and shoes to the show, if you are coming to one of our evening dos feel free to wear whatever you like - within reason!!! Looking forward to meeting you

Carrie said...

Llooking forward to meeting you too x (and all those fellow bloggers!)
I think this is going to be great!!

Anonymous said...

We are looking forward to meeting you all with no trepidation. Our first blogger meeting was a little scary too, but now that we have attended two large gatherings of garden bloggers, it is realized that we are all soul mates and will start talking a mile a minute from the moment we lock eyes!
Frances

M@M aka VP ;) said...

FG - I haven't been to a mega meetup like you and Gail, but I can certainly vouch for the non-stop chatter that occurs with any blogger I've met. It's a bit like meeting up with a friend you've not seen for ages :)